On Mon, 04 Oct 1999 07:38:24 +0200, you wrote:
>At 21:00 03.10.99 GMT, Marc Haber wrote:
>>I am currently playing with the RAID patches. I have kernel 2.2.12 and
>>applied the raid 0145 patch for 2.2.11. It complained about fs.h, but
>>the changes it wanted to make in fs.h were already there. I also
>>compiled the latest snapshot of the raidtools 0.90.
>>Syslog doesn't get a single entry, /proc/mdstat says "inactive" for
>>md{0..4}.
>
>Make very, very sure that you're actually running your new patched kernel;
>just building the raid modules and trying to load them with your old kernel
>will NOT work.

That was the problem, thanks.

However, to save myself from feeling absolutely stupid, let me
elaborate about how the problem came up:

In order to start my RAID experiments, I moved my Linux system root fs
from sdd6 to sdd5. I then rebooted to build the new kernel, installed
it, ran lilo and rebooted again.

What I didn't notice is that the boot manager I am using (xfdisk by
Florian Painke) still booted the old kernel from sdd6 which then in
turn mounted sdd5 as root file system because I forgot to move the
boot manager from sdd6 to sdd5 as well. In that situation, I could
have ran lilo a thousand times without effect since that lilo instance
updated sdd5's boot sector which was ignored by the boot manager since
it booted sdd6.

I found out about that when I tried to verify if I was in fact using
the new kernel. Thanks for that hint.

Greetings
Marc