hi ya tom

if the idea is to have a "fail safe" system....

when we were doing doa work for the gov't... we had to have
multiple redundancy....and redundancy for the redundancy...
( gov't had too much $$$ to throw at it )

but basically, how I would like to see a "HA" type linux system
would have:
        dual-port scsi controller... read/write by two different servers
                -
                - this is the key factor...in my mind...
                -

        dual CPU is nice...but it's worthless(?)...
                - many other points of failures...
                ( mb, cpu, memory, disk, connector, cables, power supp, electricity,
etc )

        you really want two motherboards and/or boxes that access
        the same disk... if one system fails...the other system
        should be able to read/write that data..

        - if one "system" fails...
          than the other "system" can step in...
        ( multi-host servers....www1, www2, www3 acting as "www"
                ( for now sun boxes does this better than linux ? )

when there is a transaction like a mc/visa/amex transaction occur...
the terminal sends that request to two servers... both record the
request... one of the two machines will respond with the authorization...
and they both acknowledge that the task was done...
        - if it's not acknowledged... the task is pending still cause
        the other system got stuck someplace...

well...guess i just wanted to say that...."dual-port disk controller"
is what does the job best...if not... the disk contoller dies and all
hell breaks loose... or the motherboard dies and ..so on...

( my adaptec controller just died this past week...so it's an issue )
        - no monthly tape archive for a while...

have fun
alvin