[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> For more direct results, I've got a raid 1 on my web server, a raid 0
> in test (stupid jedi mind trick - what happens with a 2gig and 200mb
> stripe set), and I hope to try raid 5 real soon now.

I'm using software RAID5 on our IMAP server mailstore cluster: 6 nodes
each with 6 x 9GB 10KRPM disks installed in 3 hot-swap hot-everything
Sun D1000 arrays. It's up to 8300 users now and will be tripling over
the next year or two. No problems. I also use software RAID5 (5 x 9GB
10K RPM disks in a Sun hot-swap multipack) for our web server
(2 million hits/week, 90+ main sites, thousands of small user sites).
No problems. I also use it on our mirror server (similar hardware).
No problems. I trust it.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>