I'm installing & testing RAID1 on a rh6.1 server. 2 18 GB drives on an
aic7880.

I've mirrored only 2 partitions so far (/usr & /var). I originally created a
rescue boot diskette (before I started messing w/ RAID stuff) & it worked. I
have also re-compiled the kernel to include RAID1 personality, aic7xxx, &
removed some stuff I'll never need (infrared, token ring, etc).

Before mirroring root, I tested the rescue boot diskette again & cannot get
it to work. If I boot from it & then hit <enter> to have it mount /dev/sda2
as root (like if I forgot to run lilo), it gives me:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno=2
VFS: cannot open root device 08:02
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:02

Then I tried booting off the rescue disk, typing rescue & putting in the
rescue image diskette. When I try manually to mount /dev/sda2 I get:

the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda2 as a block device

It boots fine from the hard drive and /dev/sda2 is NOT mirrored yet. I just
want to make sure I can recover (before I have to). I don't even know how
any RAID stuff would have affected it, but something has definitely changed.
I would appreciate any advice. TIA