> Or am I going to run into trouble because /lib's files will be unavailable
> for a bit while I enter these commands?  Is there a better way to enlarge
> /?  In general how to you recommend changing partition sizes?  Is this an
> argument for not seperating directories into different partitions, since
> it's harder to keep the free space evenly distributed?

I think unless your drive mounting and init binaries are statically
linked you're going to hit trouble at boot time.

However have you sifted through /lib to find out if you have an libraries
with debugging codes left in or binaries that have been upgraded and/or
ones you can recompile to put in /usr/lib ?

-sv