On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 18:26:04 -0200, you wrote:
>[your prompt]#raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/sdc6
>[your prompt]#raidsetfaulty /dev/md0 /dev/sdd6
>[your prompt]#raidhotremove /dev/md0 /dev/sdd6

|$ pwd
|/home/mh/devel/userspace/raidtools-0.90
|$ ls raidhotad* raidsetfault* raidhotremov*
|ls: raidhotad*: No such file or directory
|ls: raidsetfault*: No such file or directory
|ls: raidhotremov*: No such file or directory
|$ ls -d ../raidtools-*
|../raidtools-0.90                  ../raidtools-19990824-0_90_tar.gz
|$

These tools don't seem to be included with the raidtools snapshots.
Where do I get them from?

>> 2)
>> What happened on the second disk "failure" when the system became
>> unuseable? Isn't it RAID's purpose to keep such things from happening?
>> I'd have expected the kernel to notice that the disk is dead for good
>> and to stop trying to access it over and over. It worked the first
>> time!
>
>If I remember from another time this was asked, that's the SCSI layer
>trying _very_ hard to get some answer from your disconnected disk...

How do I keep the SCSI layer from doing this? Is it a bug in the NCR
driver?

This behavior can cause great additional problems because I might have
to reboot to get my system back up. When the failed disk has not been
replaced during the downtime and the drive electronics are bad so that
the drive is not recognized on boot-up, all disks that have higher IDs
move back one notch in the /dev/sd* scheme. This might prevent the
degraded RAID from being recognized correctly and it actually even
might prevent conventional partitions from being found since their
name changed. This reminds me of the drive letter problem that DOS
operating systems are cursed with.

Is there a standard way to cope with that? There is a program called
scsidev that can be used to create symlinks under /dev/scsi that are
guaranteed to always point to the same disk, but it fails when
multiple disks of the same model and firmware release are used because
the different disks can't be distinguished. Additionally, scsidev
segfaults on my Debian system.

Is there a tool that writes identification numbers to the disks
themselves and uses these numbers to identify the disks even if their
order in the system has been altered?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc