I've had a 9-gig SCSI Seagate drive in my machine for a while, and it's
mostly full.  I've got two new drives and would like to build a RAID-5
with all three drives.  Trouble is I don't have anywhere to backup what
I've got, so what I'd like to do is build my RAID 5 in degraded mode, and
copy all my files over, then raidhotadd my original drive to become the
backup.  Is this possible, if so how?

Things I've tried:
1) Using /dev/null for one of the disks -- hey, i know it's stupid, but i
   would have felt stupid if I hadn't at least tried it before posting.

2) Use my swap partition as one of the RAID drives.  This seemed to be
   working, but I was afraid it would think I had a teeny-tiny RAID.

3) Commenting out one of the raid-disk entries (of course mkraid wouldn't
   run at all).

Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate any comments you can provide.  Thank you!

Mark

Mark Spencer, President                 Free and Commercial Linux Support
Linux Support Services, LLC             On the web or on the phone
923 Stage Road Suite F
Auburn, AL  36830                       http://www.linux-support.net
(334) 887-1042                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                        Toll free:  (877) LINUX-ME