> prompt
> timeout=50
> default=linux
> image=/boot/bzImage
>          label=linux
>          read-only
>          root=/dev/md0
>          append="ether=0,0,0,0,eth1"
>
> Note the disk paragraph, My setup is hda1 as boot-disk (32mb) and the rest
> of my 2 hd's as raid0. Why
> exactly this is needed, i don't know. But without it, i also got the 0x0900
> from lilo.

In the context of booting from RAID, the disk geometry is only needed if the
boot-loader is trying to read from or write to a file on a RAID-1 array that
contains that partition. But in that case, the disk= and partition= lines would
point to RAID arrays, not normal disks and partitions (see Harald
Nordgård-Hansen's message to the list of 22 August on the "Booting Root RAID 1
Directly _Is_ Possible" thread). You may need this section in your lilo.conf to
enable booting, but it has nothing to do with RAID, nor should it be a cure for
the "Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0x0900" error, particularly as I
believe your /dev/md0 is RAID-0, which cannot be read by lilo whatever
parameters you pass to it.

The lines in lilo.conf that could produce this error by pointing lilo at
/dev/md0 are the "boot=", "map=", "install=", "loader=" or "image=" lines. In
this case, it is clearly not the "boot=/dev/hda" line, as that is a
straightforward installation of the boot-loader to the MBR on the first IDE
disk. The "map=", "install=" and "image=" lines all point to files in /boot, and
the absent "loader=" line defaults to /boot/chain.b as well, so if this is
really the error message you are receiving, your problem is clearly something to
do with /boot. You say that /dev/hda1 is your "boot-disk". Do you mean by this
that /dev/hda1 is mounted on /boot? If so and you have all the normal files in
/boot, I don't understand why you get the error message. If not, that is why you
get the error. But even then, I still don't understand how adding disk geometry
for /dev/hda has solved the problem.

Something is not right with your description. Are you really saying that
removing the disk geometry lines from your lilo.conf results in a "Sorry, don't
know how to handle device 0x0900" error when you run lilo? The device number is
particularly crucial. Could you try it again and check? Be careful that the only
change you make it is to remove the geometry lines. And if you get an error, see
if it is _exactly_ as stated above. Because as it stands, your solution doesn't
make sense, as you yourself recognize.

Cheers,

Bruno Prior         [EMAIL PROTECTED]