Well, after receiving numerous emails with suggestions and help, I've
finally got this raid thing setup
I just wanted to post and say thanks to all who helped.
allan
bruno
mike
surge
luca
gordon
and anyone else that helped that I might have forgotten.  This has been a
really good experience and I must say that this is one of the best lists
that I've ever subscribed to.  Anyhow, here's a rundown of what I finally
did to get a running system.  Hopefully this will help in case another
newbie decides to give this a whirl.

1.  Installed stock RH 6.0 system using kernel 2.2.5-15 (This kernel has the
necessary raid patch)
2.  Setup up following partitions using fdisk during install process

        disk 0:

        /dev/sda1        16MB        /boot      83  linux
        /dev/sda2        128MB                     82  linux swap
        /dev/sda3        400MB     /               83  linux
        /dev/sda4                                            5  extended
        /dev/sda5        500MB                      fd  unknown
        /dev/sda6        500MB                      fd  unknown
        /dev/sda7        175MB                      fd  unknown
        /dev/sda8        175MB                      fd  unknown

        disk 1:

        /dev/sdb1        16MB                       83  linux
        /dev/sdb2        128MB                     82  linux swap
        /dev/sdb3        400MB                     83  linux
        /dev/sdb4                                            5  extended
        /dev/sdb5        500MB                      fd  unknown
        /dev/sdb6        500MB                      fd  unknown
        /dev/sdb7        175MB                      fd  unknown
        /dev/sdb8        175MB                      fd  unknown

(to set the partition type to fd, type the command 't', select the partition
you want to change and type 'fd' when prompted for the Hex code)

3. Finish installation process.
4. Reboot system.
5. Login as root
6. Install raidtools-0.90-3.i386.rpm from the distro CD
7. Setup /etc/raidtab per instructions from
http://ostenfeld.dk/~jakob/Software-RAID.HOWTO/Software-RAID.HOWTO.txt for
raid 1
8. run 'mkraid /dev/md0'
9. run 'mke2fs -b 4096 /dev/md0
10. run 'mkinitrd --with=raid1 /boot/initrd 2.2.5-15
11. edit /etc/lilo.conf  -  change line 'initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.5-15.img'
to 'initrd=/boot/initrd'
12. run 'lilo'
13. Reboot system
14. Login as root
15. run 'cat /proc/mdstat' and it should show an active raid setup

Thanks again for all the help.  Now to setup a bootable raid setup.  :)