On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Matthew Clark wrote:

> I do want to use the hardware RAID.. I think I have been looking at this for
> too long.. I now think the INTEL i960 IS the MegaRAID controller.. I didn't
> realise it was registered as a PCI device... How come it connects to the
> Symbios controller?
>
> I am very confused now!!

Some days I think I'm perpetually confused, but hopefully this particular
time, I'm the cluefull one.

> Does anyone know how I stop the MegaRAID using the onboard INTEL SCSI
> Controller? (i960) It should be using my SYMBIOS card...???

The AMI MegaRAIDs I've worked with (the 428) had an Intel i960 RISC
processor integrated onto the megaraid card, along with several SymBIOS 8xx
series SCSI controller chips.  The i960 generates parity data and controls
the RAID arrays, while the Symbios chips interface to the HDs under control
of the i960.

The newer MegaRAID cards can now "hijack" your other Symbios based
controllers and make them part of the "collective" that is the megaraid.

How slow is too slow?  What numbers do you get from hdparm -tT?

> Looking at /proc/scsi/scsi, it appears that linux is talking
> directly to my
> MegaRAID controller..
>
> Shouldn't it be talking to it via the SymBIOS controller?

No, the MegaRAID is what it should be talking to.  The Symbios controllers
are now subsystems to the MegaRAID.