Thanks to James suggestion, I reviewed the messages file and found that
md.c was complaining that there was no chunk size (seems like a bug
since linear layouts shouldn't require this parameter). When I added
"chunk-size 4" to /etc/raidtab for /dev/md1, I was able to get a linear
/dev/md1 working.
Encouraged by this result, I foolishly went ahead and remade a linear
/dev/md1 using the two 36GB drives (except for 2GB in /dev/hda1 for /) -
32GB in /dev/hda4 and 34GB in /dev/hdb1. I then did a mkraid and made an
ext2 filesystem on it. But when I went to mount the filesystem, I got a
ton of errors about incorrect inode counts. After shutting the system
down and rebooting I found that the root filesystem (/dev/hda1) had also
been corrupted. Back to square one. I'd be tempted to use the old md on
2.0 if it would recognize the 36GB drives but...

John