I know this has been covered before but I can't find a searchable archive
of this list anywhere.

We've got DLT's doing backups right now and we're conceiving that it might
be cheaper to setup a system with 2 or 3 linear striped or raid 0 34+gig
ide disks and have 2 sets of these disks that we swap out week to week for
backups - rather than spend a fortune in DLT tapes and deal with a
whopping 4MB/s transfer time. We would be using a set of disks for 4
weeks then swapping out to another set - the other set would be fresh
formatted at that point and would be ready to go for the next month's
backups.

What I'm most interested in is if anyone has seen.
1. external inclosures for ide disks  and if there is any hotswap support
for ide devices in the kernel.

I figure 4 disks across 2 controllers while not an optimum situation would
see a HUGE speed boost over DLT drives. And with IDE drive prices dropping
like crazy We'd eventually be at a point where the media would almost be
cheaper than DLT media.

With potential expansion of ide drives into the 100's of gigabyte range
this might make a worthwhile effort.

any ideas/suggestions.

-sv