On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 10:33:06AM -0500, David Cooley wrote:
> When I first set up my Raid 5, I made the partitions with Fdisk, and
> started /dev/hdc1 at block 0, the end was the end of the disk (single
> partition per drive except /dev/hdc5 is type whole disk).
your mail makes me believe you have a sparc.
Suns store "partition"(allow me the term) data
in something called "disk label" which happens to be located
at block 0.
Usually this means it is part of the first "partition".
What i suppose is that mke2fs is smart enough to leave the
disk label alone be when creating a new filesystem
mkraid isn't so the disk label gets overwritten, not by raid
superblock, but by filesystem data (the fs superblock, actually)
It is a bug in raid code IMHO, but since we where there before
I suggest you start "partitions" on block 1.

Regards,
L.

--
Luca Berra -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]