On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Danilo Godec wrote:

        Hi,

> Can I use partitions on software raid device (/dev/md0, raid-5 in my
> case)?

        No. raid is usually composed of block devices, being partitions or
whole-disks. a raid volume is also treated as a block device, i.e. as
a partition, you cannot re-partition it. Even if you could, there will be
no point to.

        However, you can create several RAID volumes, from partitions of
several disks, and then mount them separately. e.g.:

        sda1    sdb1    sdc3    -> md0
        sda2    sdb2    sdc3    -> md1
        sda3    sdb3    sdc3    -> md2

        I must remember you there is a fine HOWTO at
http://ostenfeld.dk/~jakob/Software-RAID.HOWTO/ where this kind of Sw raid
related concepts and doubts are likely to be explained.

        cheers,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org