At 11:35 25.11.99 +0100, Thomas Waldmann wrote:
>What's more interesting for me: how about swap on RAID-5 ?
>
>So what's best and definitely working in that case:
>RAID-1 4x mirror (doesn't look like making much sense)
>RAID-1 two 2x mirrors with same swap priority
>RAID-5 swap space on 4 disks (parity calc overhead !?)

Personaly, I've only used raid1, but I can give you a quote from Ingo - and
he should know:

At 17:39 13.07.99 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> The HOWTO states that swapping on RAID is unsafe, and that is probably
>> unjustified with the latest RAID patches.
>
>yes swapping is safe. It's _slightly_ justified with RAID1 to be fair -
>but i've tried it myself and was unable to reproduce anything bad. Linux
>handles resource starvation much better these days.

So I guess the docs should be changed to state that swapping on raid1+5 is OK.

Bye, Martin.

PS: off list as of tomorrow, in Australia till christmas.

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"
 Martin Bene               vox: +43-664-3251047
 simon media               fax: +43-316-813824-6
 Andreas-Hofer-Platz 9     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 8010 Graz, Austria
finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key