All,

        The current setup that I have is a 2.2.11 kernel with the 19990824
raidtools and patches.  I have setup 2 linear md's and then a mirror of
those two as follows:

[ /etc/raidtab ]

raiddev /dev/md0
        raid-level      linear
        nr-raid-disks   2
        chunk-size      8
        persistent-superblock   1
        device          /dev/sdc1
        raid-disk       0
        device          /dev/sdd1
        raid-disk       1

raiddev /dev/md1
        raid-level      linear
        nr-raid-disks   2
        chunk-size      8
        persistent-superblock   1
        device          /dev/sde1
        raid-disk       0
        device          /dev/sdf1
        raid-disk       1

raiddev /dev/md2
          raid-level      1
          nr-raid-disks   2
          nr-spare-disks  0
        persistent-superblock   1
          chunk-size     8
          device          /dev/md0
          raid-disk       0
          device          /dev/md1
          raid-disk       1

        Everything seems to work fairly well - at least it doesn't break
on shutdown, startup or when just doing normal work.  However if I try to
stress test it by starting a copy of a large file to the /dev/md2, then
remove one of the disks in the raid group, it will (while scolling loads of
messages on the console) continue copying for a while and then just stop
and hang until the disk is re-inserted.  I don't understand what is
happening.  Once I actually caused the machine to panic by doing this
multiple times in the middle of the copy.

Any ideas?

Brian

---

Brian C. Huffman
Associate Systems Engineer - Information Resources
DuPont Pharmaceuticals Company
Little Falls 1, Suite 215 / Room 205
2711 Centerville Road
Wilmington, DE 19808