On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Terry Ewing wrote:

> I also manually used cp to copy about 10 or 12 of the corrupted files from
> the original tree to the RAID filesystem.  After this, the files that I
> copied did not differ from the originals.  It seems that files become
> corrupted under a heavy load either by the RAID5 daemon or in hardware.

Bad RAM can often be the cause for wierd problems like that (I had my
share of that). Now I use memtest86 on every machine I build and it seems
very reliable - last week I discovered 4 out of 12 brand new DIMMs to be
faulty and machines didn't even complain under moderat load. Kernel
compile using 'make -j' resulted in many 'signal 11' errors.

http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86/

       D.