> What do you think you gain by putting swap on a raid-volume?? I set
> up two swap-volumes. one on each
> drive. This works, even if one disk is missing, giving just a notice
> while the system tries to activate swaps.

If it works, you gain a lot. Your system is fine if you can predict when a disk
will fail and remove it in an orderly manner. But what happens with an
unpredicted disk failure while the system is running? Protecting against this,
after all, is one of the main reasons why people use RAID-1/5. With your system,
if you have any significant data in swap, your system will probably crash. With
swap on RAID-1/5, the system should continue to function as normal (except for
slightly slower swap).

However, the proviso is "if it works". This had been assumed to work for some
time now, but have a look at Stephen Tweedie's recent message to this list,
which explains that there can be problems when resyncing. This doesn't mean, I
suppose, that you can't use swap on RAID, but if you do, you should take it off
raid for resyncing.

Cheers,

Bruno Prior         [EMAIL PROTECTED]