It seem to me that many - if not most - of the problems reported by new subscribers to this N.G., are related to a lack of understanding that there are two flavours of Raid, and that the Raid support they have in their stock kernels and the tools supplied with their distribution, relate to the 'old'  (obselete) Raid setup. This was the position I found myself in, and only when I read Jakob Ostergaard's excellent Howto and abandoned 'old' Raid, was I able to make any satisfactory progress.

Would I not be possible for new subscribers to the mailing list to be automatically appraised of the old/new Raid situation via the 'subscribed' response from the list majordomo?

Regards: Jim Ford