> Unfortunately, mkraid refuses to prepare the devices for me:
[snip]
> and the uname: Linux server 2.2.13 #2 SMP Tue Dec 28 21:52:25 CET 1999
> i686 unknown (Yes, it really has such an original hostname ;-> )
> Distro: Mandrake 6.1, raidtools-0.90.

You need to patch the kernel with the raid-patch. I believe mandrake kernels
(and certainly vanilla kernels) do not yet come patched for raidtools-0.90.

Have you looked in /usr/doc/raidtools (I think that's where the rpm puts the
docs) for further information? You should be able to find Jakob's HOWTO there,
or failing that, look in http://ostenfeld.dk/~jakob/Software-RAID.HOWTO/.

And you can get the appropriate raid-patch from ftp.kernel.org under
/pub/linux/daemons/raid/alpha (use the 2.2.11 patch and ignore the 2 rejects
that throws up).

Cheers,

Bruno Prior         [EMAIL PROTECTED]