In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jon Doyle wrote:
>Has anyone used the new ExtremeRAID or AccelRAID 352 on Linux
>with the DAC960 drivers? I run SuSE 6.3 on the Ultra2 and UW
>DAC, AccelRAD 250, and ExtremeRAID 1164, but thought I might
>ask before diving into the new gear.

  ExtremeRAID seems very good, far better than the equivalent AMI
product.  The ExtremeRAID you can boot off so you can use it for
your root FS.  The only things that its missing is native linux tools
for reconfiguring it without having to take the machine down and go
into the BIOS.  The other thing is some sort of monitoring that alerts
you when a failure of some type occurs.  My solution to this was to
write the following script which emails you the status files if
a fault is detected.  Just change the email address and start it
up from cron periodically

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
my $statfile = "/proc/rd/status";
my $curfile = "/proc/rd/c0/current_status";
my $initfile = "/proc/rd/c0/initial_status";

open(STATUS, "<$statfile");

$_ = <STATUS>;
if ($_ ne "OK\n") {
  my $report = "Status: ";
  $report .= $_;
  $report .= "Current status:\n";
  open (CUR, "<$curfile");
  while ($_ = <CUR>) {
    $report .= $_;
  }
  close(CUR);
  open (INIT, "<$initfile");
  $report .= "Initial status:\n";
  while ($_ = <INIT>) {
    $report .= $_;
  }
  close(INIT);
  open (MAIL, "|/bin/mail someone\@somewhere.com");
  print MAIL "$report";
}
close(STATUS);

--
Chris Good - Dialog Corp. The Westbrook Centre, Milton Rd, Cambridge UK
Phone: 01223 715006  Mobile: 07801 788997