Hi all,

    I have a motley set of disks that I'm hoping to use more effeciently via
raid. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Right now I have:

2 X 2 Gig SCSI
1 X 3 Gig SCSI
1 X 7 Gig SCSI
1 X 4.5 Gig UW SCSI 2
1 X 20 Gig IDE

I don't know the exact type of SCSI for the for 4 drive but they are all old
and slowish. The 4.5 Gig one is nice and fast and is on a dedicated 40 MB
SCSI bus right now. Also I have 1 128MB partitions taken out of each drive
that I use for swap, yes, I know that gives me 800 MB swap (yummy).

I know I could combine all/any of the drive using Linear-RAID but I really
want some redundancy. I believe that probably puts me in the RAID-5 area.
The problem is all of the disks are different sizes.

I was thinking of trying to create something like a 3 slice size for the
RAID array. I would take one out of the 3 Gig, the 7 Gig, the 4.5 Gig, and 1
or more out of the 20 Gig. I would also combine the 2 X 2 Gigs into a 4 Gig
(using RAID-0) and then take a 3 Gig out of that. Then I would have at least
5 3 Gig pieces that I would combine with RAID-5. I would probably use the
other half of the 7 Gig for a backup to that array and perhaps the same via
another slize of the 20 Gig.

Any comments? Can I use a RAID-0 disk in a RAID-5 array? Is this a good or
bad idea?

Thanks,

--Rainer