On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 06:33:37PM +0100, Sjoerd Tromp wrote:
> I've encounterd this problem ones. In almost the same situation a proliant
> 2500 with 192MB memory and a Compaq smartarray controller.. the problem
> was he couldn't format one of my logical drives because a memory
> problem. Now doesn't detect linux by default more then I thought 12mb
> memory on proliants. You can bypass this by giving lilo the option
> mem=xxxM. Where xxx is the amount of memory your proliant contains.
> Then try to format the partition again. and mount it.

Linux does not detect the memory configuration on some of the older
Compaq systems correctly.  I have a 2500 that runs linux softwar raid
and I could not format (or mount) more than 1 partition before running
out of memory and eventually crashing until I added the following line
to the /etc/lilo.conf file:

        append="mem=256M"

Now it runs like a charm.  It is a 200MHz P2 with 68GB of raid5 disk
that provides home directories to 4500 accounts as well as being the
mail server and servicing all pop and imap requests.  The little puppy
runs between 40-90% busy all the time during the day and evening.  I was
very suprised that a Pentium 200 would do this much work.

--
Daniel R. Bidwell       |       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Andrews University      Information Technology Services