The sample /etc/raidtab is different in the HOWTO compared to the sample
/etc/raidtab given in version 0.9 of the raidtools.

I got the 2.2.14 kernel patch and 0.90 version of the raidtools from

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raid-patches/

I also picked up the latest version of the Software RAID HOWTO

http://ostenfeld.dk/~jakob/Software-RAID.HOWTO/

In the raidtools, it gives a sample /etc/raidtab conf file as

$ cat raid1.conf.sample

# Sample raid-1 configuration
raiddev                 /dev/md0
raid-level              1
nr-raid-disks           2
nr-spare-disks          0
chunk-size              4

device                  /dev/hda1
raid-disk               0

device                  /dev/hdb1
raid-disk               1

In section 4.5 of the HOWTO from ostenfeld.dk it also has a superblock option (fig 1)
listed which
does not work when I try to do a mkraid (fig 2) on the device.

fig 1:

Set up the /etc/raidtab like this:

raiddev /dev/md0
        raid-level            1
        nr-raid-disks         2
        nr-spare-disks        0
        chunk-size            4
        persistent-superblock 1
        device                /dev/sdb6
        raid-disk             0
        device                /dev/sdc5
        raid-disk             1

fig 2:

mammoth:/# mkraid /dev/md0
unrecognized option peristent-superblock
detected error on line 9:
        peristent-superblock    1
        mkraid: aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for potential clues.

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/