On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Slip wrote:

> 1-Install slack as normal, utilizing /home and /var partitions(I'm using
> these partitions because I have very little 'play' in free space in my
> root dir)
> 2-install patches, recompile kernel
> 3-tar the entire /var and /home to a backup file
> 4-install raid(wipe /var and /home partitions)
> 5-ensure both raid mirrors are functioning
> 6-untar /var and /home backups to their new raid partitions

I would do the following:

  1) Install everything in /
  2) Install patches, recompile kernel
  3) Create the two raids and make the filesystems on them
  4) Mount the home raid to /mnt and copy everything to it
     (eg cd /home && find . -xdev | cpio -pm /mnt)
  5) Unmount /mnt and mount var raid to /mnt and copy everything to it
     (eg cd /var && find . -xdev | cpio -pm /mnt)
  6) Unmount /mnt and edit /etc/fstab and tell home and var are
     now /dev/md?
  7) Reboot.

But remember to set the partition types of the raid partition to fd
so the kernel starts the raid devices.

Holger