I believe I have IDE Raid1 with two disks set up correctly using RH
Linux
6.1.  /proc/mdstat looks ok, etc,   To test I tried raidstop -a and
raidhotremove
but kept getting Device or Resource busy.  I unmounted /dev/md1, tried
raidhotremove but no luck.  So....  I shutdown, disconnected a disk and
powered back up.  Needed root password to go into maintenance mode
(wouldn't
boot otherwise)  and did raidstop -a  /dev/md1. This was successful.  It
killed
one of the two raid processes and removed md1 from  mdstat.  System
started
up and ran ok.

Question:  can I do a raidstop or raidhotremove with the system up and
both disks
functioning properly?  Couldn't seem to get this to work.

I then did some copying with just one disk connected, brought the system
down,
connected the second disk and booted back up.  During the boot process
the
system kicked the old image of the mirrored partition out of the array
as I
would expect.  Now I needed to add this partition back and have the
system
re-sync.  I tried raidhotadd --all  /dev/md1 /dev/hda7 and this worked.
The re-sync
started. When I tried to raidhotadd the other partition that is mirrored
I got an error message
related to size.

Questions:  is this the correct procedure for re-inserting a disk?  Do
you just boot
and then do a raidhotadd?  Does raidstart come into the picture?  Do you
have to
do one mirrored partition at a time or should be able to hotadd all of
them and
have tyhem re-sync simultaneously?

Thanks for reading this and any help!

Jeff H.