Hi all.  I'm using raidtools-19990824-0.90 with the 2.2.14 patch from
Ingo's site.  After not really having watched the status of the raid5
install, I'm now having a problem:

md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
autodetecting RAID arrays
(read) sda3's sb offset: 4096448 [events: 0000002f]
(read) sda4's sb offset: 4096448 [events: 3ade1754]
md: invalid raid superblock magic on sda4
md: sda4 has invalid sb, not importing!
could not import sda4!

This continues for each partition I have in the array.  What is the
problem here?

Also, perhaps related, I had a fourth disk in the box and wanted to add it
as a spare, but it actually turned out to be the one that crashed and was
replaced.  I recreate the partitions on a new disk, and set the partition
types to fd.  What do I need to do to make it become a spare?  Adding it
to the raidtab doesn't seem to do it:

raid5: device sdc3 operational as raid disk 2
raid5: device sdb3 operational as raid disk 1
raid5: device sda3 operational as raid disk 0
raid5: md0, not all disks are operational -- trying to recover array
raid5: allocated 4248kB for md0
raid5: raid level 5 set md0 active with 3 out of 4 devices, algorithm 0
[...]
md: recovery thread got woken up ...
md0: no spare disk to reconstruct array! -- continuing in degraded mode
md: recovery thread finished ...

Yet I have the following in the raidtab:

raiddev         /dev/md0
        nr-raid-disks           4
        [...]
        # Spare disks for hot reconstruction