On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, James Manning wrote:

> [ Tuesday, February 29, 2000 ] Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> > I've got the simple scripts I used to do the benchmarks here and if
> > somebody wants to have a look, feel free.
>
> go ahead and mail them to the list as attachments.  Might make for
> more scripts to shove into tiotest/funnyscripts/

Nothing fancy, but it works.  Anyone interested, it's for comparing
chunk-sizes and the -Rstripe effect - and FWIW I've concluded that for me
they make very little difference. Anyone care to run and differ, fine.

Cheers,
--
_/\ Christian Reis is sometimes [EMAIL PROTECTED]
\/~ suicide architect | free software advocate | mountain biker

#!/bin/sh
# runs bonnie and tiobench.pl until you're tired of them
# be smart: boot with mem=16M and init 1 before running this
# if you want half-decent numbers

device=/dev/md3
half_one=/dev/sda10
half_two=/dev/sdb10
suffix=14-readbalance
outputdir=./results

# this is where we're mounting the raid test filesystem
benchdir=/bench

# size of the testfiles for both bonnie and tiotest
size=512
numruns=2

# time we need to sleep before resync finishes - empirical?
snooze=5m

bonnie=/usr/src/bonnie/Bonnie
tiobench=/usr/src/tiotest-0.24/tiobench.pl

# sekrit ninja crypto
flag=`echo --qd0kkx-enqbd | tr 0a-z a-z`

function doit()
{
        sed -e s/@@CHUNK/${1}k/ < raidtab.tp > raidtab
        mkraid --configfile raidtab $flag $device
        stride=`expr $1 / $2`
        block=`expr $2 \* 1024`
        echo Stride is $stride and Block is $block
        sync
        mke2fs -b $block -R stride=$stride $device
        sleep $snooze   # so the raid1 can sync in peace
        sync
        cat /proc/mdstat
        sync
        mount $device $benchdir
        echo Chunk is ${1}k, Stride is $stride and Block is ${block}k >>
${outputdir}/bonnie.${suffix}
        echo Chunk is ${1}k, Stride is $stride and Block is ${block}k >>
${outputdir}/tiobench.${suffix}
        $bonnie -s $size -d /bench >> ${outputdir}/bonnie.${suffix}
        $tiobench --dir /bench --size $size --numruns $numruns >>
${outputdir}/tiobench.${suffix}
}

function close()
{
        umount $device
        umount $benchdir
        raidstop $device
}

mkdir -p ${outputdir}

cat << __EOF__ > raidtab.tp
raiddev             $device
raid-level                  1
nr-raid-disks               2
chunk-size                  @@CHUNK
persistent-superblock       1
    device          $half_one
    raid-disk     0
    device          $half_two
    raid-disk     1

__EOF__

for f in 4 8 16 32 64 128 256; do
        for h in 1 2 4 ; do
                echo Benchmarking with ${f}k chunksize and ${h}k blocksize
                close
                doit $f $h
        done
done