> From: Mike Black [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

Mike: Thanks for your time and help, it's really appreciated!

> Are you sure you're running in LVD mode?
> 6 disks on Ultra2 non-LVD would be limited to a total 1.5meters cable
> length.  I doubt with 6 disks that you are under 1.5 meters.

Well, I think so, looking at the output from /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0 (below).
But maybe the 80Mb/s there is no proof? How do I verify it?

> So...when you said you "switched" disks do you mean you switched
> SCSI cables and chassis too?

Yes, (my description was perhaps a little vague). I _moved_ the disks to an
entirely new machine (identical), keeping nothing but the disks. Cable etc,
everything is replaced. The disks are the only hardware remaining from the
old setup.

> You could possibly have one disk that is borderline is your SCSI config or

I'm sorry, I don't know exactly what you mean by "borderline". I associate
that with hardware having timing problems etc, is that what you mean?

> your entire SCSI is borderline.  If you are running swap on RAID too then
> that might explain the reboot.

Uhm, (blushing), I actually do run swap on RAID. I know its not supposed to
be safe, but on the other hand - if I run swap on a single disk and that
disk breaks, the computer is likely to crash as well. If swapping on raid
where the problem, is there really any plausible explanation as to why these
crashes only occur on *one* out of four machines, all having equal setup and
usage patterns?  I figured swapping could account for one crash, but six
crashes in a row on the same machine and none on the others??

> What does /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0 say about each disk?  What speed are they
> sync'd at?

Here's an example:
------
(scsi0:0:2:0)
  Device using Wide/Sync transfers at 80.0 MByte/sec, offset 31
  Transinfo settings: current(10/31/1/0), goal(10/127/1/0), user(10/127/1/0)
  Total transfers 1185618 (674788 reads and 510830 writes)
------

> Have you tried dropping the SYNC speed?

No. I didn't know I should, or how it's done. Why? How?

> Do you have any other SCSI devices on the bus?

No other SCSI devices are used.

/Johan Ekenberg