When running Bonnie, you should always set the file size to 3-4
times the size of your RAM, else you get the 200Mb /sec speeds
(which are very pleasant, but not realistic). I think the 100% CPU is
in great part Bonnie generating the test files. I've tried copying files,
this takes almost no CPU power.

The crashes are very annoying, no messages in the logs or
anything. I've run extensive memory tests and today I'm installing a
new 3c905 card i case that's the problem. After that I don't know...
Rearranging all PCI cards?

I'll tell if I discover anything useful.

Kent