> Dear all!
>
> I am writing this mail due to hangups related to my raid devices. I am
> seeking for suggestions enabling me to locate the problem. Any suggestions
> are welcome! Below you find a description of my system as well as of the
> problems. If you need further information, please let me know.
>
> Best regards & thanks in advance,
> Bernd Burgstaller

For what it's worth I'm experiencing the same problem on a vastly
different setup.  My setup is as follows:

hda Maxtor 90845D4 (8.4GB)
   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1       255   2048256   fd  Unknown
/dev/hda2           256      1024   6176992+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5           256       510   2048256    6  FAT16
/dev/hda6           511       638   1028128+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7           639       893   2048256   83  Linux
/dev/hda8           894      1010    939771   83  Linux
/dev/hda9          1011      1024    112423+  82  Linux swap

hdc QUANTUM FIREBALL ST4.3A (4.3GB)
   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1             1       255   2048256   fd  Unknown
/dev/hdc2           256       383   1028160   83  Linux
/dev/hdc3           384       524   1132582+   5  Extended
/dev/hdc5           384       397    112423+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hdc6           398       524   1020096   83  Linux

contents of /etc/raidtab

raiddev         /dev/md0
raid-level      1
nr-raid-disks   2
persistent-superblock 1
chunk-size      4
device          /dev/hda1
raid-disk       0
device          /dev/hdc1
raid-disk       1

contents of /proc/mdstat (linear is not currently used in system)
Personalities : [linear] [raid1]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid1 hdc1[1] hda1[0] 2048192 blocks [2/2] [UU]
unused devices: <none>

The symptoms are IDENTICAL to what has been described with the exception
that I can usually get uptimes of about 24-36 hours without any
problems, fortunately this a home system so it's not severe having to
reboot once a day.

It seems as though the current processes keep running, but it is unable
to spawn any new processes.  This would explain why the first connect
will work and further ones don't.  This also explains the problem with
logins from the console as the login program needs to spawn other
programs.

In general it seems as though the system is performing as though it was
out of processes.  However the keyboard is responsive for switching
terminals, indicating that it isn't overloaded.

At first I thought this was a hardware problem, as a flaw with my
motherboards IDE controller causes it to not write all the data once in
a while.  However, now that I see someone else is having a similar
problem I figured I would speak up.

Also, I'm not entirely sure on this, as it might be from my faulty IDE
controller but I've seen messages on the screen complaining of lost
interrupts on hda and hdc.

I'm currently running kernel 2.2.14 with the raid-2.2.14-B1 installed.
The kernel also has the ppscsi patch installed and some additional
patches for the matrox framebuffer device, but the problem persists if
those modules are loaded or not.

I'd appreciate any help from the list.  I realize some of my problem is
the bad IDE controller, but it's been locking a lot more since I RAIDED
my boot device (on the plus side, I'm no longer loosing data).

--patrick wagstrom

--
[TEL 312.225.9019] [ICQ 291789] [WWW http://www.iit.edu/~wagspat]
Mirror The CSS Code.  http://www.iit.edu/~wagspat/dvd.html

"Live as if you were you were going to die tommorow.
 Learn as if you were going to live forever" - Gandhi