On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Martin Bene wrote:

> At 02:16 30.03.00, you wrote:
> >Hi... I have a Raid5 Array, using 4 IDE HDs. A few days ago, the system
> >hung, no reaction, except ping from the host, nothing to see on the
> >monitor. I rebooted the system and it told me, 2 out of 4 disks were out
> >of sync. 2 Disks have an event counter of 00000062, the two others
> >00000064. I hope, that there is a way to fix this. I searched through the
> >mailing-list and found one thread, but it did not help me.
>
> Yes I do. Check Jakobs Raid howto, section "recovering from multiple failures".
>
> You can recreate the superblocks of the raid disks using mkraid; if you
> explicitly mark one disk as failed in the raidtab, no automatic resync is
> started, so you get to check if all works and perhaps change something and
> retry.

Hey all,

I've been thinking about this for a different project, how bad would it be
to setup RAID 5 to allow for 2 (or more) failures in an array? Or is this
handled under a different class of RAID (ignoring things like RAID 5 over
mirrored disks and such).

Three words: Net block device

Bill Carlson
Systems Programmer    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |  Opinions are mine,
Virtual Hospital      http://www.vh.org/        |  not my employer's.
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics        |