On Sat, 1 Apr 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Michael wrote:
>
> > hmmm..... the remirroring code is not very smart... as I recall it
> > does the remirroring in order .. i.e. md0, md1, etc... This would
> > imply that if you have a power fail or other crash that causes both
> > md's to be faulty, the system will not be able to swap until md0,
> > then md1 is remirrored. The boot and swap md's should always be the
> > first two raid partitions under this scenario as they are very small
> > and will remirror quickly allowing swapping to proceed while the main
> > array remirrors.
>
> Isn't that exactly what we want to avoid? As I understand swapping on RAID
> while a resync is in progress is BAD.
>
> But I agree this would be the way to go when this bug is fixed...

You should read the whole thread. The purpose is to delay mounting the
swap partition until the resync is complete on the raid/swap device, then
proceed to mount it. When the resync is ordered, 0, 1, 2, this can result
in very long delays if the swap device is not 0, since that would result
in the main data partition being resynced first -- which takes a long
time. Resyncing the swap partition of at most a few hundred megs takes
a couple of minutes or seconds if you have a bodacious processor and very
fast disks. This allows normal operation and swapping to proceed while
the resync of the main array takes place in the background.