  Lance> In that case, I would:
  Lance> 1) Do a normal shutdown of the machine
  Lance> 2) Disconnect the bad drive
  Lance> 3) Power up the system

*grin* now I'm sure I read somewhere that RAID was meant to lessen the number
of reboots required . . . this SHOULD be hot-fixable, no? Is raidhotremove
meant to "just work"?

  Lance> If the array starts, it will be automatically removed from the
  Lance> array. If the array doesn't start, maybe change the the raidtab file
  Lance> to match the new disk assignments.  If that fails, put the disk back
  Lance> in and reboot. Disconnect the power from the bad disk while it is
  Lance> idle. Then access the file system.

This I can do. I didn't want to take the machine down, a point which is a bit
moot after my cascading failure earlier today.

-d