From: "Cal Thixton - President - ThoughtPort Authority of Chicago"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: The meaning of this?

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 06:28:04PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > I think it means you tried to run fsck across an area being resynced.
> >
> > Is this bad? Should the init scirpts be modified to somehow avoid this?
>
> If doing this is causing problems, there's a bug in the RAID code.  At the
> filesystem layer, the "device" that the filesystem is on should either be
> there, or it shoudn't be there.
>
> A resync should be transparent to everything else (except that there's a
> bunch of disk i/o ...)

I have wondered this myself.  Should filesystems on RAID5 devices not have
fsck turned on in fstab in order to give resync'ing time to clean things up?

Nothing in the docs addresses this and I have seen crashes that results in
both fsck and resync'ing going on at the same time which makes little sense
and takes a very long time to complete on this 56gig device.

thanks
cal