Hi everyone:
I think I got a better understanding now.
What I want to do is to make a raid1 device using a
existing partition(of which the data I need to keep)
and 2nd partition from 2nd hard disk.

 RedHat6.1 is installed and there are only two IDE
hard disks(same capacity).
 After all the e-mails back and forth, I believe there
are two ways:(although they are pretty similar)

Assmuming /dev/hda7 contains the needed data and
/dev/hdc8 is 2nd partition.  We want to make a raid1
device /dev/md0 on top of /dev/hda8 and /dev/hdc8.

a) ;;specify /dev/hdc8 as failed-disk.
   mkraid /dev/md0.
   (the message will say /dev/hdc8 is a failed disk)
   ;; /proc/mdstat should indicate raid1 is running
using only /dev/hda8.

   raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/hdc8
   (this will sync hdc8 to hda8, thus the /dev/md0
will have the data we want to keep)

   ;;modify raidtab to specify /dev/hdc8 as raid-disk.
   (So next reboot will have /dev/md0 running
normally)

b) ;;specify /dev/hda8 as failed-disk.
   mkraid /dev/md0.
   (the message will say /dev/hdc8 is a failed disk)
   ;;/proc/mdstat should indicate raid is running
using only /dev/hdc8.
   ;;copy contenet of /dev/hda8 to /dev/md0
   raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/hda8
   (hda8 will be sync'ed to hdc8.  That's OK, because
both have the same contenet now)
   ;;modify raidtab to specify /dev/hda8 as raid-disk.
   (So next reboot will have /dev/md0 running
normally)

Apparently method a) is a little easier.
Hope this will help others who are trying to do the
same thing.

  Thanks.

Jason