> > > I find those numbers rather hard to believe.  I've not yet heard of a
> > > disk (IDE or SCSI) that can reliably dump 22mb/sec which is what your
> > > 2 drive setup implies.  Something isn't right.
> >
> > Check http://www.tomshardware.com , they review the Promise IDE RAID
> > card
> > (the hacked one for $30).  They get some pretty insane throughputs
> > on some ATA66 drives.
> >

> Gee, they look pretty awesome, excellent performance.
> The only drawback i can think of is that it wouldnt be as flexible as
> software raid.

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those for a while, but
there doesn't seem to be a linux driver for the FastTrack66 (the RAID
card), only for the Ultra66 (the not-hacked IDE controller), and that
driver has only 'Experimental' status with current production kernels:

--------- snip -----------
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC4030:

This driver provides support for the secondary IDE interface and
cache of Promise IDE chipsets, e.g. DC4030 and DC5030. This driver
is known to incur timeouts/retries during heavy I/O to drives
attached to the secondary interface. CDROM and TAPE devices are not
supported yet. This driver is enabled at runtime using the
"ide0=dc4030" kernel boot parameter. See the Documentation/ide.txt
and drivers/block/pdc4030.c files for more info.
--------- snap -----------

I even wrote to Promise to ask when or if a linux driver might become
available, but didn't get much of an answer (they replied that there
was a driver available for the Ultra, although I had specifically asked
for the RAID card).

If anyone hears about a Linux driver for this card, I'd like to know.

Cheers, Frank

--
frank joerdens

joerdens new media