Hi Jochen,

At 10:46 25.04.00, Jochen Scharrlach wrote:
>on a server one disk had a "medium error" and the RAID1 (2.2.14-B1)
>disabled one of the mirrors. It looks like this:
>
>md0 : active raid1 sdb5[1] sda5[0](F) 4739072 blocks [2/1] [_U]
>
>If I reboot now, how will the system react? Will it recognize the
>failed partition or (worst case) will it try to overwrite the data on
>sdb5 with sda5?

Not a problem; it will stay in degraded mode, it won't damage the good data
on  sdb. Is sda the disk you're booting the system from? if so: you sould
have a bootdisk handy when replacing sda; you'll probably have a system
thet doesn't want to boot off disk when plugging in a new sda (without
playing arout with scsi IDs etc).

>BTW, what's the easiest way to replace the failed disk? Will something
>like "dd /dev/sda /dev/sdb count=1" and "raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/sdb5"
>work? (assuming the old sdb becomes sda after the replacement)

You donÄt have to copy any data by hand. Install the new disk, partition
and add the partition using raidhotadd. raid will do the synchronisation
itself. I'd keep sdb as sdb and just put in a replacement for sda; however,
you'll have to boot off a floppy if you do it this way.

Bye, Martin

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"
  Martin Bene               vox: +43-316-813824
  simon media               fax: +43-316-813824-6
  Andreas-Hofer-Platz 9     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8010 Graz, Austria
finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key