[Jason Lin]
> After my raid-1 is up and running I shutdown the
> machine and took out one hard disk.(the one without
> Linux installed.) Just to see how it behaves.
> During reboot it drops to single user mode due to RAID
> device error.
>
> "raidstart /dev/md0"

raidstart? eww :)

> modprobe: can't locate module block-major-22
> /dev/md0: invalid argument

Since the first drive (raid-disk 0) is gone, AFAIK you have to
get autostart working by doing partition type fd for hd[ac]7 and
enabling autostart in the kernel block device section.

The raidstart approach (as per Ingo's post of maybe a week ago)
will fail if the first disk is unavailable.  Thankfully, there's
not much reason to avoid autostart these days.

> raiddev                /dev/md0
> raid-level             1
> nr-raid-disks          2
> nr-spare-disks         0
> chunk-size             4
> persistent-superblock  1
>
>           device                  /dev/hdc7
>           raid-disk               0
>
>           device                  /dev/hda7
>          raid-disk               1
>

> raiddev                /dev/md1
> raid-level             1
> nr-raid-disks          2
> nr-spare-disks         0
> chunk-size             4
> persistent-superblock  1

/dev/md1 with no disks defined?  Guess it doesn't matter since the
operations are being doing on md0, but it's strange to see the extra
(apparently useless?) stanza there.

James