I have looked through the Software RAID howto, the Bootable RAID howto, the
docs that come with raidtools 0.90 and the man pages and I haven't been able
to find any way to delete a raid device once it has been created.

I'm trying to get rid of a raid device (RAID 0 or 1) which was created using
the "persistent-superblock" option on Red Hat 6.2 (kernel source 2.2.14-12).

Is there some kind of command/tool to do this that I haven't stumbled
across?  It would be nice if the howto could say something on this topic.