Hi,

I have a 3-disk raid 5 system and would like to add a spare:

Kernel:  2.2.15
Patch:  raid-2.2.15-A0
Patch:  ide.2.2.15.20000509.patch

Boot disk is not part of any array.

Mobo is:  Oceanic 440BX  whic doc sez only supports UDMA 33
PCI IDE cards (2):  Magic IDE 66 -  these are Promise cards

Raid devices consist of:  md0, md1, md2, md3, md4  with partitions
across 3 identical 4 Gig Maxtor 84320D4 drives - hde, hdg, hdi.    All
of the raid drives reside on a Promise ide port

I have added a fourth Maxtor, connected to the remaining port on the
second Promise card.  It comes up on boot as hdk.

To add hdk as a spare, how must I format the disk?
    - don't format, just
        * stop the array w/ raidstop
        * add spare to raidtab
        * raidhotadd spare /dev/md5 /dev/hdk
        * raidstart
or
use fdisk (will linux fdisk handle a large  - 4 Gig drive?)
    - format as one large partition of type fd? OR
    -format  with the same number and size partitions as on the other 3
raid disks?
        * can fdisk also designate a partition as "grow to disk"  My
notes don't indicate I did this upon install,
           , but it was late, I was tired . . .  Any other good
partitioning s/w available?

For other linux/raid newbies, here is how I built the array:
    - Mobo ide0: Primary was boot disk, secondary was CDROM
    - Mobo ide1:  Primary was first of three raid disks  - (start
repeating "One IDE disk per IDE bus"  mantra
        now : )
    - Promise card 1 ide2: second of three raid disks
    - Promise card 1 ide3: third of three raid disks
    - I parked the fourth drive on the second Promise card for
convenience - it will not be recognized during
        the RH 6.2 install
    - I booted my PC with the really trick biz card rescue CD from
LINUXCARE.   After it booted,  I entered
        "cat /proc/pci | more" from the command prompt.   I then jotted
down the bus addresses:
                    Promise 1: Vendor ID = 105a Device id = 4d38
                    Medium devsel   IRQ 11 Master Capable Latency = 32
                    I/O @ 0xb4000 [0xb401]            ==>  a
                                0xb800  [0xb801]             ==> b
                                  . .
.                                   ==>  c   . . .  d  . . .e
                    To assemble the kernel parameter you will pass upon
RH install . . .
                    ide2=a,b+2  ide3=c,d+2        In my example:
ide2=0xb400,0xb802    (no space after comma!)
    -  I started the RH6.2 install from CD (change your bios boot
sequence), pressed F4 to get to kernel
        parameter screen and typed in:  linux ide2=0xb400,0xb802
ide3=0xbc00,0xc402
        This permits the install process to see the Promise IDE busses.
Had no luck with specifying ide4 or
        ide5 with this technique.  (otherwise I would have just put all
the raid disks on the Promise cards and
        would not be asking how to add a spare - no, I'd be asking how
you could get DiskDruid to configure a
        spare :)  On the Redhat LILO install screen there is a small
text box where you can add in these
        parameters.  Just omit the "linux" in the statement.  This will
add an "append" statement in /etc/lilo.conf
        that looks like:  append="ide2=0xb400,0xb802 ide3=0xbc00,0xc402"

    -  Go through RH install, build raid devices with disk druid
    -   I downloaded  raid-2.2.15.tar.gz and installed it
    -  I downloaded ide.2.2.15.20000509.patch.bz2 from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/
        (Thank you Andre!) and installed it with: bunzip2 -c <filename>
| patch -p0
    -   I downloaded  raid-2.2.15-A0   from
http://www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.2/  (Thank you
            Mingo!)  and installed it with :  patch -p0 < raid-2.2.15-A0
from the /usr/src directory
            The patches all went in smoothly, no rejects.
    -  I built the 2.2.15 kernel.  I used "make menuconfig"  Be careful
to go through all the menus and select
        everything you think your hardware requires.   Makes good
reading, too.
    -   After testing the kernel (it worked!), I made a bootdisk:
"mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.2.15xxx"
          (x's for version  control, edited /usr/src/linux/Makefile and
changed "EXTRAVERSION" to reflect my
        build designation)
    -  I reconfig'd my ribbon cable setup and moved the CDROM to the
secondary mobo IDE bus.  I moved
        the first raid disk that was on ide1 to the first bus on Promise
card 2.  The spare was connected
        to the second port on Promise card 2.

    -  I edited /etc/lilo.conf to remove the append statement - once the
kernel includes support for the
        Promise cards, it's not needed.  However, 440BX mobo docs said
it only supported UDMA33.
        Reading the message log w/ "vi /var/log/messages" showed a line:

                May 23 09:42:58 Tux kernel: ide: Assuming 33MHz system
bus speed for PIO modes; override
                with idebus=xx

        So I added a new append statement in lilo.conf:
"append="idebus=66"  and saved the file.
        I ran /sbin/lilo from /usr/src/linux  to update my lilo.  This
significantly sped up my arrays (tested
        w/ "hdparm -Tt /dev/md0")

Now all I have to do is add in my spare and reacquaint myself with
family and friends  :-0

Jens