Hello,

        I am currently having problems mounting my root file system that
is set up with RAID-1. The initrd image I am using conatins all the raid
tools, and successfully starts all the raid devices, but then I get the
familiar message "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00".
The fstab on the initrd correctly shows /dev/md0 as /, and the
"raidstart -a" command executed by the /linuxrc produces all the
expected output. At the end, I still don't have a root filesystem.

        Some specifics: this is a 2.2.15 kernel, with the raid-0.90
patch applied and all the RAID types compiled in, on a system based on
RedHat 6.2. The machine itself is a Sun Ultra 1 with two identical
drives. I'm booting with silo, which correctly finds the initrd and kernel
image, and had the correct root device listed. All the metadevices are set
up correctly; if I boot off the tftp root image I made earlier, all the
devices start okay. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this not supported? Am
I doing something wrong?

        If the answer is that I'm out of luck; that's okay. I backed up
everything before I started messing with software RAID.

        Thanks in advance,
--
        Gustav               http://users.dhp.com/~gustav/pgp.html
    Key fingerprint = 84 88 E8 E1 1F 30 55 1E  8B D8 65 0E C2 09 46 E8