This is off-topic since it's not a RAID problem. But it is occuring on one
of my RAID systems and since this is the most knowledgable group for
scsi/drive questions I hope someone can help, maybe even off-list.

I'm running RAID 1 using on RedHat 6.1. I compiled the aic7xxx driver & RAID
into the kernel (2.2.12). The aic7xxx driver is 5.1.20. The Adaptec is an
onboard aic7880. The drives are 18 GB Seagate ST118273W. Works beautifully.

Now we've run out of space & I asked purchasing for 2 more of these drives.
Instead, I received a model intended to replace the ST118273Ws. The new
drives have model number ST318436W. The new drives are seen by the SCSI
BIOS. I installed them in an NT machine successfully, too. However, when
linux starts listing the SCSI devices, it balks at these and reports SCSI
bus timeouts, trying harder, etc. I've tried every type of combination
(sync, speed, width) using the SCSI BIOS utility. I tried booting from the
install diskette and used the latest aic7xxx driver (5.1.30) to try to
partition a new drive. Still no success, RedHat doesn't see it. I've run out
of ideas. I would welcome any other suggestions to make RedHat see these new
drives. Or else I would like to know of any other 18 GB SCSI drives (wide,
not LVD) that have been used successfully with 6.1 and aic7xxx. thanks.