At 09:25 PM 6/24/00 -0700, you wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Bill Parker wrote:
>
> >       I have a monster puter (Dual Pent-III 500, dual P/S (hot swap),
> > 256MB ram, 9GB SCSI HD, AIC 7895 controller, 4x9GB Raid ARRAY (SA-1130),
> > etc...I am thinking of installing linux on this beast, but would like to
> > know if there is native RAID support for this machine...if you need more
> > details, write back and I will do my best to supply info
> >
>What kind of "native" did you have in mind. Linux software raid is pretty
>native to linux since 2.0x I run it on my dual Celron 500, 756mb ram, dual
>30gig segate 66ultras -- manages a nice 20meg xfer rate for read and
>write, not bad when the platter max is 26megs. I wouldn't exactly call
>this a monster, but the case is bigger than I like.

Ummm, the Raid ARRAY is an SA-1xxx (IBM RaidSERVE) hot-swap array
which in looking at the 2.2.17pre-6 kernel I just built on a test machine,
there
appears to be native support for it in the kernel (woohoo), but would software
RAID work in a hot swap situation (this is where I get confused) :-)

-Bill