I am converting a Sparc-station 20 to linux, specifically RedHat 6.2.  I
have been having lots of problems with getting my RAID array to work.  I
have experience with RAID-0 and RAID-1 working fine on Intel processors.
This is my first attempt at using Linux (and RAID) on a Sparc.  I have
tried many different setups to get the RAID to work.  Some of them worked
occasionally.  All of them were either intermittant or failed to work at
all.

The three main ways I have tried to make RAID to work are:

* automatic raid, setting partition types to: fd
    When I used this method, the machine will not boot reliably.  The
errors varied.  Sometimes other (non-raid) file systems would not mount,
sometimes certain modules would not be loaded or found.

* raid startup with RedHat code in rc.sysinit.  (partitions set to 83)
When using this technique, the boot process would usually stop, dropping
me into the maintance mode.

* raid startup with a manual command. (partitions set to 83, rc.sysinit
code modified to prevent it from starting raid)  Raid startup up usually
fails with messages I amd not used to.  For example:

command: mkraid /dev/md0
response: Killed
after which: cat /proc/mdstat
response: Killed

Here are some details about my setup that may help...............

df
/dev/sda4              1237672    188340    986460  16% /
/dev/sda1                15858      7142      7888  48% /boot
/dev/sda2               720784      3856    680316   1% /var

cat /etc/raidtab
raiddev   /dev/md0
        raid-level              0
        nr-raid-disks           10
        persistent-superblock   1
        chunk-size              4

        device                  /dev/sdb1
        raid-disk               0
        device                  /dev/sdc1
        raid-disk               1
        device                  /dev/sdd1
        raid-disk               2
        device                  /dev/sde1
        raid-disk               3
        device                  /dev/sdf1
        raid-disk               4
        device                  /dev/sdg1
        raid-disk               5
        device                  /dev/sdh1
        raid-disk               6
        device                  /dev/sdi1
        raid-disk               7
        device                  /dev/sdj1
        raid-disk               8
        device                  /dev/sdk1
        raid-disk               9

free
Mem:        256560      22084     234476      10516       2828      11664
-/+ buffers/cache:       7592     248968
Swap:        91216          0      91216

cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu: ROSS HyperSparc RT625 or RT626
fpu: ROSS HyperSparc combined IU/FPU
promlib: Version 3 Revision 2
prom: 2.22
type: sun4m
ncpus probed: 4
ncpus active: 4
Cpu0Bogo: 125.33
Cpu1Bogo: 125.33
Cpu2Bogo: 125.33
Cpu3Bogo: 125.33
MMU type: ROSS HyperSparc
invall: 0
invmm: 0
invrnge         : 0
invpg           : 0
contexts        : 4096
CPU0            : online
CPU1            : online
CPU2            : online
CPU3            : online

typical fdisk partition setup:
Disk /dev/sdc (Sun disk label): 67 heads, 62 sectors, 1007 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4154 * 512 bytes

   Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdc1             1      1007   2089462   83  Linux native
/dev/sdc3             0      1007   2091539    5  Whole disk

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I have been banging my head
over this for about 10 days now...:(

Best Regards,
Robert Laughlin