I have got a machine that nearly coughed up blood yesterday because
someone pulled the power on it. The fscks were nasty, let me tell you that
I am happy for backup superblocks. Anyways, that was too close, I need a
RAID solution in this weekend, or I am going to panic.

The problem is the hardware I have available is haphazard PC hardware. You
know what I mean.

Currently being used on the machine I've got:
hda: WDC AC22100H, 2014MB
hdb: WDC AC31600H, 1549MB

Available to kludge together a RAID system are various pieces of useful
hardware. Three 1 gig and a 4 gig scsi drives are available. I've got a
bunch of 540s, which considering their size are probably old and not worth
the hassle. I can pick up something else if it comes down to that, but it
would be great if I could use what I have.

Can I take these random drives and make them into something that I can
rely on? Do I need to have drives that are exactly the same size as the
drives that I want to mirror, or can I take a couple here, a couple there
and make them useful?

Thanks!