On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Seth Vidal wrote:

> > >arguably only 500gb per machine will be needed. I'd like to get the fastest
> > >possible access rates from a single machine to the data. Ideally 90MB/s+
> >
> > Is this vastly read-only or will write speed also be a factor?
>
> mostly read-only.

If it were me, I'd do big RAID5 arrays.  Sure, you have the data on tape,
but do you want to sit around while hundreds of GB are restored from tape?
RAID5 should give you the read speed of RAID0, and if you're not writing
much, the write penalty shoulnd't be so bad.  If it were totally
read-only, you could mount ro, and save yourself considerable fsck time if
there's an impropper shutdown.

 Jon Lewis *[EMAIL PROTECTED]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |