I've had this problem.  It was due to that disk being damaged.  I suggest
you do a scan on that disk with the scsi utility of your controller.  If
it reports bad sectors and such, swap the disk, create the linux raid
partition on it and hot swap it in, as described in the HOWTO

------
ai
http://sefiroth.org