-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]Im Auftrag von Gregory Ade
Gesendet am: Dienstag, 18. Juli 2000 17:47
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: RAID1 on SuSE?

Hello, I'm trying to install RAID1 on a SuSE box.

The box has two identical 20-ish GB disks in it, ATA/66.  SuSE is
installed on /dev/hda (in various partitions: /boot / /var and so on).

According to the Software-RAID HOWTO, I can create a RAID device in
degraded mode and then copy my data to the md device and "restore" the
failed-disk (the original root disk).

Well, following the instructions under Method 2 of section 4 of the howto,
nothing works.

in /etc/raidtab I have:

# /
raiddev /dev/md0
        raid-level      1
        nr-raid-disks   2
        nr-spare-disks  0
        persistent-superblock   1
        chunk-size      4
        device          /dev/hda8
        raid-disk       0
        failed-disk     0
        device          /dev/hdb8
        raid-disk       1

I've also tried swapping the order and numbering of the devices:

        device          /dev/hdb8
        raid-disk       0
        device          /dev/hda8
        failed-disk     0
        #raid-disk      1

and any other number of combinations.  The real root filesystem is on
/dev/hda8.  When I run 'mkraid' I get:

root@vanmodem(pts/0):~ 51 # mkraid /dev/md0
handling MD device /dev/md0
analyzing super-block
disk 0: /dev/hda8, failed
disk 1: /dev/hdb8, 4200966kB, raid superblock at 4200896kB
mkraid: aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for potential clues.
root@vanmodem(pts/0):~ 52 #

However, /proc/mdstat contains:

root@vanmodem(pts/0):~ 52 # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [1 linear] [2 raid0] [3 raid1] [4 raid5]
read_ahead not set
md0 : inactive
md1 : inactive
md2 : inactive
md3 : inactive
md4 : inactive
md5 : inactive
md6 : inactive
md7 : inactive
root@vanmodem(pts/0):~ 53 #

and there is nothing in the syslogs.

Any idea's on how to get this working?

Thanks in advance.

- --
Gregory K. Ade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://bigbrother.net/~gkade
#include <standard/disclaim.h>
procmail(1) is your friend.
GPG ID/FP: EAF4844B | F4FCCC7D613DBDBF5365 E3D079050460EAF4844B