What size datasets are you using?  Bonnie++ is still a good benchmark,
although it stresses things differently.  The maximum number of threads that
you should need to (or probably even want to) run is between 2x and 3x the
number of disks that you have installed.  That should ensure that every
drive is pulling 1 piece of data, and that there is another thread that is
waiting for data while that one is being retrieved.

> > Hope this is not to much off topic.
>
> I think it's pretty important when talking about RAID, since
> a lot of us
> are using it for performance reasons, with the redundancy as an added
> bonus.

Heh, I'm using it because it provides redundancy, the added speed from
Mika's RAID 1 read balancing patch is just a perk...  HTH,
        Grego